Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thoughts on homophobia

People can be very cruel, even when they do not mean to be. I think it stems from ignorance and lack of exposure to a different way of living. My cousin, whom I am very close to, is gay. She and her partner have been in a relationship for almost ten years now and have a beautiful adopted daughter together. It pains me when she tells me stories about how when she had to go to the ER her partner was not admitted to go in with her.(this was in Virginia) I guess just because i have never knowingly harrassed a gay person does not mean that my actions have not hurt in some way. I think even supporting polticians who dont support gay marriage is the same as hurling those insults. It is sort of like the old saying, just because you pretend its not there and that it doesnt affect you does not make it go away. I want to see my cousin get married to the woman she fell in love with, and i dont want to wait years to do it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment