Monday, January 12, 2009

Fish food bank

So I just got back from doing a few hours at the Fish food bank on 85Th St. The place is small first off, not what I would have expected, and there were at least 10 volunteers there, and only a few were from PLU. Food was constantly coming in, most from grocery stores that could not sell it anymore because it was about to expire, some from private parties who just wanted to help. I spend most of my time bagging potatoes, which were half rotten by the way. I was looking around it seems as though the poor get the short end of the stick. There was almost no fresh meat or veggies and everything came from a box or can and was on or past its prime. Don't get me wrong its great what they are doing, but sometimes I feel like we could be donating food that was a little fresher perhaps. It was also hard to walk through their little lobby and see the at least 100 people sitting waiting for their turn to get food. One woman was there when I arrived at 8 am, and the bank doesn't open until 11!!

However, I have to mention this one woman who was there. She, I think, was Russian(that's what it sounded like to me) but she drove up in her Escalade, holding her dooney and Burke purse ( at least $400) and proceeded to take her place in line to get free food! She was waiting there with people who were obviously extremely impoverished but did not care at all. The person who worked there said she comes all the time and they try to tell her to go but she complains until they let her take the food. It makes me mad that she can afford to buy her own food but insists on taking it from people who are starving. However, I am glad that we have a place that does this, it makes a lot of peoples lives so much better.

1 comment:

  1. I still can't believe it, and I am really curious what is going on in her mind. The food is less then desirable and I wish there was a way that they could get better food.

    ReplyDelete