Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sex, gender as a social construction


So I just got done reading the first article, "Night to his day". and I suppose I have always known that gender and sex were different, but hearing it from this point of view that gender was created by our society really puts it into context for me. I made me think of all the "feminine" things I do and things I avoid because they are not lady like, as my grandma would tell me. Like it says in the book, we created these roles, and we also created the power discrepancy between them. When I came across the part about transsexuals and transvestites it made me think of a film I watched last year called trantaisa. It was about a beauty pageant with transvestites as the contestants. They were trying to be like women so much it was almost unnatural. they over exaggerated every little thing a women does. It also made me think of the show real housewives of some county. Those women are what you would call stereotypical women. They stay at home with the kids, are fully supported by their husbands, shop all the time and live a life that it completely devoid of individualism. Their whole existance is that role. That would suck.

New article, "Masculinity as homophobia": I hate the term boys will be boys. It almost gives males an excuse to act like wild animals. I have a friend who has a son and she says that all the time when he becomes aggressive, she almost wants him to be aggressive so he can be manly....I like this idea that men only act manly to impress other men. Most women would tell you that acting "manly" is idiotic and pointless. They even have the example in here about how men act differntly when alone with a women then with the guys. They are afraid of being discoverd as unmanly and thus unworthy to be called male.

All of these articles are very interesting, I liked the one about transexuals, it presented that idea in a new light because it is such a unknown subject for me.

1 comment:

  1. You write that these transexuals "were trying to be like women," but it's also important to note that this particular performance is one that is "available" to a very very small portion of women on the planet. Most women cannot take on this look - neither in terms of the ability to buy the clothes nor in terms of having the "desired" body type/facial features/skin color.

    So - this particular gender performance is also a racial, ethnic and class performance.

    ReplyDelete