Wednesday, January 21, 2009

service learning

I went and did more service learning at the fish food bank yesterday morning. similar to last time we has our usual task, bag rice, put food away on shelves and break down boxes. I made sure that I watched who was waiting in line and took note of things about them, race, gender, type of clothing, did i see them drive in or walk. Most of the people there very early were white middle aged women. They were dressed in layers and as far as i could tell most of them did not drive a personal car to the food bank. Seeing these people goes against what is initially thought of as poor people. I would have thought that more minorities would be there and less members of the agent groups. Going to these places challenges me to think critically about stereotypes that i have and to overcome them.

1 comment:

  1. Where is the Food Bank located? Maybe that has something to do with the group of people you are seeing coming in? I'd be interested in hearing more about your conversations with people again, I liked that from before in class.

    ReplyDelete